Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups

turtlebmw's 335 Mod Diary (Hello from Boston!)

turtlebmw

Hey guys!
Its been 3 months since i left Singapore for Boston, and i miss the family, friends + food like crazy.
Got myself a 335i xDrive (4WD for the snow), and im loving it. It might not handle as well as the RWD ones, but the grip lets you put the power down, so off the line with a tune, the stock E9X M3s can only see you bum.

I wasn't very active on the forum, but a couple of friends read about my build thread on the USA forums and told me to share it with you guys.

So here it is. BTW, no Juzz4cars over here, let alone service like SEETOH's standards, so everything was mostly DIY except for the exhaust mods.

Let me know what you think! :)

Details of my ride:
2011 BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
Space Grey
Sports Package
Cold Weather Package

The car was purchased from Herb Chambers BMW of Boston, and my sales guy was Rich Baldani. Great guy, and pushed a hard sale. Not so sure about after sales service though. Nonetheless, if your in Boston and you want someone who know his cars, let me know and i will direct you to him.

Here she is upon arrival. Completely stock and innocent to her mod potential.
hrh2te.jpg

29w91k3.jpg

First Mod: Aesthetics: BMW Gloss Black Front Grills and BMW Limited Edition Carbon Fibre License Plate Frames.
29q0gtg.jpg

2ugmiz4.jpg

wb8ho5.jpg

Second Mod: Huper Optik 35% nano ceramic tints/Ventureshield Headlight Film
Done at Tint King for $300. + $25 (headlight films)
zsq16q.jpg

ab4dnb.jpg

23tkpk8.jpg

First Car Wash:
FirstCarWash.jpg

Third Mod: AFE Stage 2 Intake
Bought and installed at Turner Motorsports $540 incl labor.
This might be the biggest mistake i made in terms of spending my disposable income, but i don't regret it because of the noise it makes. Every turbo car should sound this good. I picked this over the Injen intake because the design seemed alot better. For one the intake piping isn't made of steel so there is less heat soak. It is also shorter and wider. I may no be an engineer, but bigger = more air.
2dadpvs.jpg

2niwcw.jpg

2vtv1jl.jpg

Fourth Mod: BMS Stage 2 Tuning.
By far my best customer service experience. Almost immediate replies via emails, very informative and helpful. Thanks Terry!

Dont get intimidated by the install, the instructions are pretty clear. Took me about 2 hours the first time as i was very careful with all the wiring and used extra electrical paint to cover the exposed wires, and wrapped the modules up to prevent them from knocking around in the ECU. Also had to route the USB cable in to the cabin.
All the tools i needed.
BMSStageIIprep.jpg

Dismantled the covers, exposed the ecu box.
BMSStage2WireTapping.jpg

These are the wires you tap for stage 2.
BMSStage2WireTapped.jpg

BMS Module (wires covered back up)
BMSStage2Installed.jpg

Fifth Mod:AR Design Catless Downpipe
Best Mod ever, love the sound, pair it with the intake, and that's music to my ears. I have heard all the other aftermarket downpipes, and i have to say AR is really the best. BMS looks just as good quality wise, but somehow the pops and gargles are less distinct with the 3.5'' dps. (No offense, im a big fan of BMS).

Labor to remove original dowpipe and install AR Catless DP= $300
@ Lous Custom Exhaust in Waltham, MA.
Look for Jo and tell him i sent you, hes a great guy, very honest chap. They are very experienced too.

I don't have pictures, but when i got it, there was an 02 sensor spacer installed, so even if i switch off my "clear codes", there is no SES light.
Only picture i have and it was stolen from here.
N55ARDP.jpg

Mod Break ONE: First visit to a drag strip for both me and my car.
New England Dragway ($25 per entry, as many runs as you want. You need a helmet if your gonna beat the 13.99s mark.)

FirstDragVisit.jpg

This was the first test for my car, and she did great. People were coming up to me asking if my car was an M3. :happyanim:

My best timing for the night was
[email protected], Car 952 (LEFT
)
25pjps0.jpg

followed by
[email protected] Car 952 (LEFT)
25516r7.jpg

and
[email protected]. Car 952 (LEFT)
2co4dog.jpg

Heres a video of me VS a corvette C6 who had a couple of mods on.
http://youtu.be/dYqPuitaRaE?hd=1

Sixth Mod: ER Charge Pipe
Mike from N54 Tuning. Excellent Service and very informative. Thanks Mike!

The ER Charge Pipe was beautiful, i went with polished because i wanted some bling under the hood. Stuck the ER Stickers on myself. You can't go wrong with the ER brand, well built, good design, and they were very detailed with their instructions, packaging, and even after sales support was great.
ERChargePipehere.jpg

Old Charge Pipe
OldChargePipe.jpg

Old Charge Pipe Removed from engine:
ChargePipeRemoved.jpg

Old VS New Side by side.
OldVSNewChargepipe.jpg

ER Charge Pipe installed!
ChargePipeInstalled.jpg

Seventh Mod: Lux H8
Best angel eyes in the market (from what i read here)
Expensive... but worth it.
PhotoshootFront.jpg

Eighth Mod: Dimisa V3.5 Tips
DiMisa Tips
The tips were of excellent quality, priced competitively, and JP provided excellent customer service support. Love the design of their tips because of the sloping design.
I went with 3.5'' because i felt 4'' might be too rice.

Installation was a breeze, and they slipped right on. Perfect fitment for BMWs :clap:

Unboxing:
DimisaTips.jpg

Tips up close:
DimisaTips2.jpg

Stock tips:
StockTips.jpg

Stock tips being cut off:
StockTipssawedoff.jpg

Stock tips VS Dimisa V3.5
OldVSNewTips.jpg

First tip being welded on:
DimisaFirstnewTipon.jpg

Both tips on:
DimisaBothTipswelding.jpg

FINAL:
DimisaTipsfinalpic.jpg

Mod Break TWO:
First and LAST photoshoot of the car with it stock bodykit.
PhotoshootFront.jpg

PhotoshootSide.jpg

Nineth Mod: HRE P40 REPLICA Wheels
Had to replace one of my stock RFTs, so instead of paying the $300 for a new one, i got these wheels + budget tires (Falken FK452) grip isnt very fantastic, but definitely better than stock. Ride is also better but these tires are noisy! When winter is over, michelin pilot super sports + coilovers.
Wheels are flush though! So thats great (Sorry i dont know the offsets, they were ready available at the shop, and i liked what i saw, so they mounted them).
jrwd4n.jpg

Tenth Mod: Performance Aero Kit (Front, Rear, Side Skirts)
Tischer BMW (parts) Allston Auto Body (paint+install)

I have been waiting for this for almost 3 weeks! BUT...
The parts are enroute to the body shop as we speak, will post teaser pictures of the process. :happyanim:

... to be continued!

Re: turtlebmw's 335 Mod Diary (Hello from Boston!)

Aiyah why u buy new car? you will see your SE Rich again in a few month's time when the new F30 comes out heehee

Nice...........

cheers

Wow Boston...the drivers there are worst than Spore......Why back to MIT or Harvard?

hitmee;703261 said:
dun forget to mod ur car mats

mmh......... what abt the padel?

Fantastic car!!! Still cannot believe that you beat the Corvette.....You are supposed to study there...not get into a drag race :hmmidont:
Stay safe ya!!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bongdalu5wiki

Latest posts

Back