F20 Water Pump

Kitson Lim

Hi guys, recently i went to the workshop and the mechanic said that my water pump is spoiled as the drive wheel for it doesnt spin when the engine starts. It only starts to drive after a while. however, he says that its supposed to start driving when the engine starts if not the water inside the engine cannot re-circulate through and flow. So just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on where is that how the pump is supposed to work. Its for a 118i 2011 series.

Isn’t the water pump supposed to start with the engine as it’s connected via the pulley. It is also supposed circulate the coolant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi guys, recently i went to the workshop and the mechanic said that my water pump is spoiled as the drive wheel for it doesnt spin when the engine starts. It only starts to drive after a while. however, he says that its supposed to start driving when the engine starts if not the water inside the engine cannot re-circulate through and flow. So just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on where is that how the pump is supposed to work. Its for a 118i 2011 series.

Hi i have same experience, driving a 2012 116i F20, the drive wheel for the water pump apparently doesn't spin upon startup as well. Something to do with the tensioner, i think it only starts to spin when the engine heats up after a while like what you said.

I went to search in youtube for F20 start ups and also noticed in the video that the drive wheel for the water pump was not spinning upon initial startup.

Have been driving it for 3 months now and everything is still fine. Just access the "secret menu" to check the engine temperatures and water temperatures occassionally i guess.

Hope it helps and if anyone can verify this as well.

Hi i have same experience, driving a 2012 116i F20, the drive wheel for the water pump apparently doesn't spin upon startup as well. Something to do with the tensioner, i think it only starts to spin when the engine heats up after a while like what you said.

I went to search in youtube for F20 start ups and also noticed in the video that the drive wheel for the water pump was not spinning upon initial startup.

Have been driving it for 3 months now and everything is still fine. Just access the "secret menu" to check the engine temperatures and water temperatures occassionally i guess.

Hope it helps and if anyone can verify this as well.
i experienced the same problem recently. i checked the Coolant temperature is was 101°C but no warning light on the dashboard .. is it normal?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keonhacainexus
Back