BMW VIN Decoder & standard parts for your cars

pengful

I scanned through more than 100 pages on various discussion boards but did not manage to obtain a very good VIN decoder for our rides.

So, I will post this (hopefully it has not been posted before) and hope that you will find this information useful.

RealOEM.COM   Online BMW Parts Catalog

What this does;
1) by entering the last 7 digits of your chassis number or VIN number, shows you all the details pertaining to your car
2) shows the year of manufacture, where it was built and the engine code, etc

The most useful feature is not what I mentioned above but rather, a little button called "Browse Parts". By clicking on it, it will show you all the parts that are standard with your car, including the price of the parts. With this information, we will be able to make smarter decisions whether we should buy from PML or import ourselves, like VPost.

Cheers.:)

Re: BMW VIN Decoder & standard parts for your cars

Hi pengful, as what desertfox65 said, most of us are getting part information from the above two sites.

There is one particular information about BMW cars that I could not find in any search. the GEAR-RATIO (not the differential gear-box). My ride is the most humble 1996 E36 316i powered by M43B16 engine with Manual Getrag gear-box 250G . Differential G/R 3.38......Any one can help?

desertfox65;361289 said:
its been posted few times here is another one more updated BMW fans community, parts catalog, accessories catalog

Thanks for the update. As I said, I scanned through almost the entire forum but I guess this discussion was probably tucked away on a board I missed.

Very useful info you posted indeed. Shouldn't such info be stickied so that they are easily accessible?

u have a 3.38 rear diff? i'm running a 3.45 on my M40b18..(unless i'm much mistaken..!..)

either way i'm quite keen to find some info on the diff ratios. i've seen some infor on metric mechanic's website.. but not sure if its still there anymore..

cheers

michael

Bison;361371 said:
Hi pengful, as what desertfox65 said, most of us are getting part information from the above two sites.

There is one particular information about BMW cars that I could not find in any search. the GEAR-RATIO (not the differential gear-box). My ride is the most humble 1996 E36 316i powered by M43B16 engine with Manual Getrag gear-box 250G . Differential G/R 3.38......Any one can help?

gwumpkus;369858 said:
u have a 3.38 rear diff? i'm running a 3.45 on my M40b18..(unless i'm much mistaken..!..)

either way i'm quite keen to find some info on the diff ratios. i've seen some infor on metric mechanic's website.. but not sure if its still there anymore..

cheers

michael

Hi Michale, thanks your link, very informative site indeed, there are Gear-ratio chart for various Getrag gear-boxes but my poor Getrag 250G is not listed leh.

Search continue......

Just wanted to share this VIN decoder link i used when i was expecting delivery of my new car from P.I. After obtaining the VIN (17 digits) i checked against this site

BMW Options Vin Decoder

you will be able to check it against the options you ordered and if the P.I kept to his side of the deal,.....down to the colour of leather, date of manufacture etc etc. Downside is that you have to pay USD$10.

Any idea what is a good source to import the OEM parts (especially for the interior)?

Many decoders show incorrect information. I often do a VIN Check in free services from bmw-vin-decoder.com , but from my own experience, free apps do not necessarily help in buying a used car. Firstly, the reports they generate are rather poor in content, and secondly, the information they contain does not always correspond to reality.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sabonginternationalai

Latest posts

Back