Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Shaun

Well-Known Member
Trusted Sponsor
Say I have 5 users sharing an ADSL line via wifi. Is there router software that allows me to track each of these 5 users individually to see what times during the day they use the internet?

Also useful are what sites roughly they are logging on to. For example I don't need to know what page or what forum section of the BMW.SG site they're viewing, just that they're on the BMW.SG site.

Thanks... just looking at ways to improve productivity at work.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

kekekeke Stalker Boss

Shaun;1043931 said:
Say I have 5 users sharing an ADSL line via wifi. Is there router software that allows me to track each of these 5 users individually to see what times during the day they use the internet?

Also useful are what sites roughly they are logging on to. For example I don't need to know what page or what forum section of the BMW.SG site they're viewing, just that they're on the BMW.SG site.

Thanks... just looking at ways to improve productivity at work.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Leave a backdoor
The world of the Gen Ys (or younger) is different.
Without media, it is when their productivity really drop...

If you don't like, you can show them the door, but no media - they will choose the window.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Turn on logging on the router and map the 5 fellows' MAC address to what is showing on the logs.

Trying to check if they are surfing porn sites ?
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Actually nowadays people don't use office wifi to surf. Everyone has their own smart phone.

So long as they aga aga, open one eye close one eye la.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

It is easier if you just block certain websites than try to track.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Shaun;1043931 said:
Say I have 5 users sharing an ADSL line via wifi. Is there router software that allows me to track each of these 5 users individually to see what times during the day they use the internet?

Also useful are what sites roughly they are logging on to. For example I don't need to know what page or what forum section of the BMW.SG site they're viewing, just that they're on the BMW.SG site.

Thanks... just looking at ways to improve productivity at work.

havent done this before but looks like wat u need is some IP monitoring device. U can code it yourself if good enuff or just download: Download Free Mac Monitoring Open Source Software - SourceForge

specifically look for one which specializes in logging imo
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

If you are using DHCP to lease the IP address, there should be a logs where it shows when are those IP were assigned.

If you need to know what are the sites the users have visited - you can setup a transparent proxy server that would force all HTTP or HTTPS traffic via the proxy server or run a network sniffer during the time of usage. I would recommend proxy server routes.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

hoks;1044068 said:
Actually nowadays people don't use office wifi to surf. Everyone has their own smart phone.

So long as they aga aga, open one eye close one eye la.

Trust me, these guys don't even have their own data plans. They're using the wifi.

Anyway it's sickening when work basics are not getting taken care of, yet there's always a party happening on facebook throughout the day. The best excuse I've heard is that he's not using his account, but that it's his wife back home in using it and liking and sharing things.

==

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will try some out and get absolute proof before fixing those who don't really want to do good work for good pay.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

rvt;1043974 said:
Leave a backdoor
The world of the Gen Ys (or younger) is different.
Without media, it is when their productivity really drop...


If you don't like, you can show them the door, but no media - they will choose the window.
May I say otherwise? Such as... with social media and mobile games, their productivity drop and when both these procastinating promoters disappears they have zero productivity... because they are at a total lost :lol: :lol: :lol:
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Its not that bad ....... I had an MP surfing porn in the office. He has interesting tastes from the logs and the cache on his laptop .......

Oh yes ..... There should be a trail of cookies and other crumbs when one surfs on the machine itself.

Shaun;1044525 said:
Trust me, these guys don't even have their own data plans. They're using the wifi.

Anyway it's sickening when work basics are not getting taken care of, yet there's always a party happening on facebook throughout the day. The best excuse I've heard is that he's not using his account, but that it's his wife back home in using it and liking and sharing things.

==

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will try some out and get absolute proof before fixing those who don't really want to do good work for good pay.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

If its getting out of hand and affecting work, prob means those guys are not suitable for you.
Over time i realise employees cant work 100% of their capacity everyday, (on the exception during busy projects, for a few days of hardcore 100% performance)
they usually work only 60-70% of their threshold, and the remaining time is spent on emails, fb etc.
If they always do 100% , they will get burnout and u risk the problems of restaffing.

Its often hard to police a ban on youtube, fb, and msn on local office networks. Employee morale and happiness index will drop.
Look thru those 'noises' and as long as they achieve their objective and given tasks in a reasonable set time, those 'goodies' can pass.

just my 2cts..kekekeke


Shaun;1044525 said:
Trust me, these guys don't even have their own data plans. They're using the wifi.

Anyway it's sickening when work basics are not getting taken care of, yet there's always a party happening on facebook throughout the day. The best excuse I've heard is that he's not using his account, but that it's his wife back home in using it and liking and sharing things.

==

Thanks guys for the suggestions. Will try some out and get absolute proof before fixing those who don't really want to do good work for good pay.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

This is a quality thread. I never know that using wifi in office can be tracked....
To clarify, I only surf bmwsg.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Suspect not those you hired , and don't hire those you have suspicion- Cao Cao
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Red_Bean_Bun;1044549 said:
Its not that bad ....... I had an MP surfing porn in the office. He has interesting tastes from the logs and the cache on his laptop .......

Oh yes ..... There should be a trail of cookies and other crumbs when one surfs on the machine itself.

Walau ar, how can u teach my boss to catch me?
Refer him to expensive IT consultant to discourage him mah.
 
Re: Tech gurus: Wifi IP tracking

Even worst like that ..... He might go the cheap route and put CCTV camera instead then track everything including when go to toilet ......

John136888;1045177 said:
Walau ar, how can u teach my boss to catch me?
Refer him to expensive IT consultant to discourage him mah.
 
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back
Top