E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

lkm

Well-Known Member
Damn sian.... I've been having a stalling issue for awhile now. This happens only at idle and when then engine is warmed. Hasn't happened to me when engine is cold. I've had a couple of times it stalled on me at traffic lights and worse - when i was in a multi-storey carpark waiting in line on a slope. The brakes would suddenly turn hard and power steering lost when engine stalls.

Had the MAF sensor and idle control valve cleaned twice already. Also, poured in 2 bottles of Redline Fuel System Cleaner before.

Most irritating part is that no fault codes were flagged up. The check engine light was never illuminated. On occasions where I was waiting at a carpark, gear in neutral, waiting for wife, and when the car suddenly shudders and RPM drop, sometimes a step on the accelerator pedal will bring the car back to life. Else if I hit the accelerator too late, the engine just stalls...

Heeeelp!

Damn sian. =(
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

lkm;1025114 said:
Damn sian.... I've been having a stalling issue for awhile now. This happens only at idle and when then engine is warmed. Hasn't happened to me when engine is cold. I've had a couple of times it stalled on me at traffic lights and worse - when i was in a multi-storey carpark waiting in line on a slope. The brakes would suddenly turn hard and power steering lost when engine stalls.

Had the MAF sensor and idle control valve cleaned twice already. Also, poured in 2 bottles of Redline Fuel System Cleaner before.

Most irritating part is that no fault codes were flagged up. The check engine light was never illuminated. On occasions where I was waiting at a carpark, gear in neutral, waiting for wife, and when the car suddenly shudders and RPM drop, sometimes a step on the accelerator pedal will bring the car back to life. Else if I hit the accelerator too late, the engine just stalls...

Heeeelp!

Damn sian. =(

MAF sensor.......











cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

E90 320i do not use a MAF sensor. The plug at the air box is just for a Intake Air Temp sensor. There are other issues that cause the car to stall.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

R2D;1025194 said:
E90 320i do not use a MAF sensor. The plug at the air box is just for a Intake Air Temp sensor. There are other issues that cause the car to stall.

time to pay R2D a visit (TS)















cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

i have the exact same problem

1. change air filter - problem reduced but still persist
2. change maf - problem reduced drastically fromt stall few times a day to 2 times a week

no fault code. chance of stall very high when drive hard and brake sudden at traffic light or turning

drive like pussy ... chances of stall is reduced. do your rpm jumping up/down 50 when idling?
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

R2D;1025194 said:
E90 320i do not use a MAF sensor. The plug at the air box is just for a Intake Air Temp sensor. There are other issues that cause the car to stall.


See you soon bro.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

No prob.

Check your idle first. Both in Neutral and in Drive. Does the engine misfire randomly? If so, check your plugs first.
Next, while in neutral, rev you engine and watch the revs drop. Does the revs drop below the normal idle speed for a split second before returning to normal levels? this normally indicated that the DME program needs an update.

Hope this helps.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

I tried revving in neutral and don't get that drop you mentioned leh. Also, I just changed spark plugs too. They were due anyway, and I was praying hard that the spark plugs would solve the issue.... No joy... Sob.

How to make appointment to see you ah?

R2D;1025214 said:
No prob.

Check your idle first. Both in Neutral and in Drive. Does the engine misfire randomly? If so, check your plugs first.
Next, while in neutral, rev you engine and watch the revs drop. Does the revs drop below the normal idle speed for a split second before returning to normal levels? this normally indicated that the DME program needs an update.

Hope this helps.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

lkm;1025558 said:
I tried revving in neutral and don't get that drop you mentioned leh. Also, I just changed spark plugs too. They were due anyway, and I was praying hard that the spark plugs would solve the issue.... No joy... Sob.

How to make appointment to see you ah?


Call Rod....?
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

Get this resolved soon. Stalling especially when heading out into a main road can be a hair raising experience.

lkm;1025558 said:
I tried revving in neutral and don't get that drop you mentioned leh. Also, I just changed spark plugs too. They were due anyway, and I was praying hard that the spark plugs would solve the issue.... No joy... Sob.

How to make appointment to see you ah?
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

lkm;1025114 said:
Damn sian.... I've been having a stalling issue for awhile now. This happens only at idle and when then engine is warmed. Hasn't happened to me when engine is cold. I've had a couple of times it stalled on me at traffic lights and worse - when i was in a multi-storey carpark waiting in line on a slope. The brakes would suddenly turn hard and power steering lost when engine stalls.

Had the MAF sensor and idle control valve cleaned twice already. Also, poured in 2 bottles of Redline Fuel System Cleaner before.

Most irritating part is that no fault codes were flagged up. The check engine light was never illuminated. On occasions where I was waiting at a carpark, gear in neutral, waiting for wife, and when the car suddenly shudders and RPM drop, sometimes a step on the accelerator pedal will bring the car back to life. Else if I hit the accelerator too late, the engine just stalls...

Heeeelp!

Damn sian. =(

Bro, I had the same issue.. But only when it's in neutral or in parked.. According to my WS, he said that my o2 sensor is faulty and needed to be replaced. The other thing was he cleaned my trottle body. After that. It was fine.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

I suggest doing all the above recommended checks and if all fails. replace the valvetronic motor together with the eccentric cam sensor. sometimes no fault doesn't mean its is not faulty.

on a side note. has the DME been flash tuned before?
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

Wah! "All the above" means replacing the following:
- MAF sensor
- O2 sensor
- Air filter
- spark plugs (just changed)
- valvetronic motor (changed a couple of months ago)
- eccentric shaft sensor
- cam shaft position sensors (someone told me this too)

Damn chor man!

Nope, the DME was never flash tuned before. At least not to my knowledge.

djebel;1025831 said:
I suggest doing all the above recommended checks and if all fails. replace the valvetronic motor together with the eccentric cam sensor. sometimes no fault doesn't mean its is not faulty.

on a side note. has the DME been flash tuned before?
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

my case

a. valvetronic motor + sensor - replaced
b. ignition coil - replaced
c. spark plugs - replaced
d. air filter - replaced
e. maf - replaced

the stall problem still persist !
stall few times a day to stall 2-3 times a week and only if i drive hard and brake hard
rpm up/down 50 ... tiny bit jumping in D (stop at traffic) or N :(
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

wt_know;1025836 said:
my case

a. valvetronic motor + sensor - replaced
b. ignition coil - replaced
c. spark plugs - replaced
d. air filter - replaced
e. maf - replaced

the stall problem still persist !
stall few times a day to stall 2-3 times a week and only if i drive hard and brake hard
rpm up/down 50 ... tiny bit jumping in D (stop at traffic) or N :(

Seems like a lot. Mine was plugged in and from the auto logic, could see whatever faults that were coming up. From there, just replaced those faulty part and the throttle body was just cleaning just in case. And I think it would be fine.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

If only there were fault codes annunciated. That would make troubleshooting a lot easier. Unfortunately, in my case, no fault codes were present.

Deepster;1025846 said:
Seems like a lot. Mine was plugged in and from the auto logic, could see whatever faults that were coming up. From there, just replaced those faulty part and the throttle body was just cleaning just in case. And I think it would be fine.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

lkm;1025905 said:
If only there were fault codes annunciated. That would make troubleshooting a lot easier. Unfortunately, in my case, no fault codes were present.

Then my guess would be the throttle body could use some cleaning and try again for a few days to see if any improvement. But that's just my take. Let the pros handle.
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

Dear all, I have the same issues before.

Apparently I did a software change for the valvetronic to be set to 0.3mm or something. And the car did not stall anymore.

After which when I service my car at another workshop, I asked the tech how I could improve my pickup. He simply changed the software settings to 0.80mm for the valvetronic.

After which my car had the same problem of engine stall. Hence I suspect very greatly it was the settings issue and went to the workshop to reset it back to 0.30mm.

Problem was solved. Car no longers stall. Worth a try
 
Re: E90 Stalling with No Fault Codes Thrown

_InDiGo-;1026940 said:
Dear all, I have the same issues before.

Apparently I did a software change for the valvetronic to be set to 0.3mm or something. And the car did not stall anymore.

After which when I service my car at another workshop, I asked the tech how I could improve my pickup. He simply changed the software settings to 0.80mm for the valvetronic.

After which my car had the same problem of engine stall. Hence I suspect very greatly it was the settings issue and went to the workshop to reset it back to 0.30mm.

Problem was solved. Car no longers stall. Worth a try

i could accept this explanation because my stall happen only i replace the valvetronic.
 

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
82,711
Messages
1,019,199
Members
70,658
Latest member
hi88boutique
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back
Top