MW
    MW is offline UNSTOPPABLE!
    Overall activity: 48.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 1,378 Posts

Re: Car Sales... There once was a time...

I know jaymzjr and I am with you on highballing sellers but my point is if the prospective buyer sees a car he likes very much and the market does not have something close or similar, he will take into account time, money, effort and "heart" put into modding the car (as opposed to a stock car). If he is ok with the "high" price then I believe its not really "unethical" of the seller to highball so to speak. Of cos if its very lightly modded (like installing strut brace) or stock and the seller uses the high COE climate as leverage to sell high then he should be struck by lightning and then fed to the dogs.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MW For This Useful Post:

jaymzjr (16-08-2011),mustaffalj (25-08-2011)

Satine is offline Rolling Start...
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MW View Post
    I know jaymzjr and I am with you on highballing sellers but my point is if the prospective buyer sees a car he likes very much and the market does not have something close or similar, he will take into account time, money, effort and "heart" put into modding the car (as opposed to a stock car). If he is ok with the "high" price then I believe its not really "unethical" of the seller to highball so to speak. Of cos if its very lightly modded (like installing strut brace) or stock and the seller uses the high COE climate as leverage to sell high then he should be struck by lightning and then fed to the dogs.
    Hahaha, fed to the dogs!

I fully agree with ya but its tricky as the issue of being expensive or reasonable is relative as different individuals base their judgments on different yardsticks.

jaymzjr is offline Ignition On
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

haha yes of cos... those very special indents, limited editions like the IWC Merc CLS55, sunroofs, panaromic roofs, etc etc... obviously that's where the value can be to the car. 100% agree. i'm a panaromic sunroof freak and i do pay premiums for those, no doubts worth abit more... or with some of the supercars, your ceramic brakes and chrono or sports exhausts etc etc....

MW
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzjr View Post
    haha yes of cos... those very special indents, limited editions like the IWC Merc CLS55, sunroofs, panaromic roofs, etc etc... obviously that's where the value can be to the car. 100% agree. i'm a panaromic sunroof freak and i do pay premiums for those, no doubts worth abit more... or with some of the supercars, your ceramic brakes and chrono or sports exhausts etc etc....
    Sometimes if you are free, you should just surf sgcarmart for fun. Just scroll through some car dealers' cars which are obviously "highballing" and then you see the description to justify the "high" price…"Full options, very rare and lady driver used only for going shopping and spa only" and its a toyota vios and you realise the "full options" are leather seats and 15" rims. Simi lan

I do know of ONE forummer who actually "lowballed" his own car sale and most of the replies were farking him for that. I wun mention names but its Kenntona's 335

milk15 is offline Formula Elite
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I do know of ONE forummer who actually "lowballed" his own car sale and most of the replies were farking him for that. I wun mention names but its Kenntona's 335
    Actually i dun see it as Kenn low balling his own car sales.... i nvr notice how much he's selling during that time (i poor man.. how cheap i also cannot afford) but i think he sold at a reasonable price and thats y it's SOLD off within few days...

Example.... i ever asked a friend of mine who's driving the same car as me... why you are selling so cheap??? Spoil market???

sgcarmart - 3 x 2002 Nissan selling around S$45k - S$55k each.
    My friend selling his 2003 Nissan @ S$40k.....

My friend replied....... "That's y you can see they are STILL selling in sgcarmart".... l0lxxx
    Last edited by milk15; 16-08-2011 at 09:45 PM.

Bye Bye.......... My luv of 8 years........

jaymzjr is offline Ignition On
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Sometimes if you are free, you should just surf sgcarmart for fun. Just scroll through some car dealers' cars which are obviously "highballing" and then you see the description to justify the "high" price…"Full options, very rare and lady driver used only for going shopping and spa only" and its a toyota vios and you realise the "full options" are leather seats and 15" rims. Simi lan
    dun get me started on the descriptions... some are absolutely hilarious!

u have the usual Doctor's 2nd car, and then u see 20k mileage clocked...
    u have the usual Director's car used only from home to office with the same high mileage (obviously chauffeur drove all over spore)...
    u have female teacher owner, u have the "buy now before it's gone" with a price3 10k over mkt, and all sorts of funny descriptions...

oh i love the latest they're using for properties... "Almost Sold" and they declare the price it's going for... walau if i'm the buyer who gave that offer, i'll be so royally pissed... haha

oh oh, and i absolutely love "be the envy of all on the road when u drive..." something like that... super classic.

kenntona is offline UNSTOPPABLE!
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranOverdrive50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,718 Times in 1,221 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MW
    It depends how you assess the selling price.

The price difference between my 335 and PML's 335 was over $40K. I spent a tad more of this amount on mods. OMV difference between two cars is $14-15K.

I sold my ride at $20K depre, same as PML's car one year newer than mine.

Buyers who look at the absolute price tag says it was cheap, cause they factored in mods. Many forgot that my ride was a PI model without some features like comfort access and idrive. All of a sudden, PI cars are treated the same as PML's car.

Buyers who look at depre to ten will say it is fair, or expensive vis-a-vis PML's car of the same age.

Did I lowball or highball myself ?

I bought cheap, and I tried selling high, but still perceived to be cheap !!! There is simply no proper valuation model in this .......

In Fond Memories: 07-11 Juiced e92 335, 05-07 AC Schnitzer e46 Cabriolet, 03-05 Hamann e46 Sedan

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenntona For This Useful Post:

wt_know (17-08-2011),__iceman__ (18-08-2011)

Oilman is offline Barely Legal
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jaymzjr View Post
    u have the usual Doctor's 2nd car, and then u see 20k mileage clocked...
    Ya I don't get the part about "doctor owner" - what's the relevance? He throws in free health screening?

MW
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

To show that he very rich and change cars like underwear so his "loss is your gain".

__iceman__ is offline Cruising Along...
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Willing seller, willing buyer. Forummers who high ball will still get low ball offers. Forummers who low ball themselves will kena even lower ball offers. The farking classic will be the brylcreen car dealers that claim that your car is so nice that they wanna buy it for their own drive etc.

This is an enthusiast forum. If a proper enthusiast were to sell his car here, it should be expected it is in better condition, well taken care off, and has mods that complement the car. In fact, if an enthusiast or regular member here sells the car, there is nothing to hide as you can do a search on all postings and follow the dates, happenings, mods, problems etc of that particular car!

For such a car to be advertised along to the bread and butter stuff in SGcarmart that is owned by a tai tai or a car-idiot that just does treats it as a mode of transport - is a waste.

And honestly, for a nicely done up enthusiast car to be traded in to the dealers at market price (low ball dealer price) and dealer to high ball it after thrashing around for few days, or selling off some parts for pocket money - the car just ain't worthy anymore and becomes a common "commodity" piece out there.

BTW, there are dealer cars out there that are "special" and are high balled on pricing. But what if you can can get a 20-30k discount (depending on price of car lah, not talking about a 100k car) if you're truly serious and willing to issue a 10k cheque upfront? Again, willing seller and willing buyer lor.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to __iceman__ For This Useful Post:

jamhoe2 (18-08-2011),mugen81 (18-08-2011)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast