(Advertising options)
    Ahbengdriver is offline ///M-Power!
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

WTF is BMW Long Life oil

I ve read that recommended engine oils for BMWs should have something stated on the bottle's label, and many websites that I ve read says this should be " BMW LL-1 ".

What actually is this BMW LL-01 ?

Also, if an oil is stated BMW LL-04 , how different is it from LL-01 and can be used on our cars?

OILs are confusing
    ANG MO KIO AND TANJONG PAGAR MRT STATIONS INSTALLING "TRAFFIC LIGHTS" INSIDE THE STATIONS. Red Light means train delays expected.

If I still want to wait and board the train and walk through the red light, will I kena 12 demerit points for 'beating red light'?

davidtch is online now Blistering Quick
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thanks

Re: WTF is BMW Long Life oil

Beng, d list is as follows:
    1. LL-98;
    2. LL-01;
    3. LL-01FE; &
    4. LL-04.

There is no difference btw LL-01 & LL-04 except LL-04 has lower sulphur content (which is suitable for modern diesel engine with particle filter).

WTF is BMW LL?
    "BMW Longlife is the BMW spec for oils suitable for its range of cars. It's important to use the specified oil for BMWs because its engines are among the most sophisticated in the world. If you just use any cheap oil from a petrol station shelf, don't complain later if you have higher engine wear, higher fuel consumption, and end up with a sludged-up engine. See http://www.castrol.ae/TDS_SDS/other/...BMW%20LL01.pdf

BMW LL-01 (from 2001) is the specified oil for current E90s. So we don't need LL-04 yet and shouldn't use the older LL-98, which I believe can include Group III mineral oils in the blend. LL-01 must be a fully synthetic Group IV oil blend. Group IV is polyalphaolefin oil or PAO for short."

Currently, i hav no problem looking for LL-01.

motorknut is offline Cruising Along...
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

i've read somewhere that LL-04 oils should not be used in BMW spark ignition engines outside of Europe. Think it was a US forum that said the fuel grade in the states isn't suitable. Dunno if this also applies to us in Asia. but i did note that my car manual states for me to check with local BMW dealer on appropriate engine oil. I am guessing that no specific oil spec was mentioned since LL-04 is only applicable in certain regions, and the same manual is distributed across Europe/asia. It does state that LL-01 is a suitable alternative regardless.

Thought of asking PML CSAs, but I haven't met any who seem technical/bothered enough to pay attention.

Ahbengdriver is offline ///M-Power!
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I did a search on oils in terms of their suitability n accesibility in Singapore.

for example, I find that u can quite easily find Mobil-one 0w-40 which is a true BMW LL-01 oil. There is also for example Amsoil 100% synthetic 5w-40 which is BMW LL-04 certified.

So my question is, can a oil like Amsoil 5w-40 which is LL-04 be used on the BMW 4-pot engine n 6-pot TT engine???
    Last edited by Ahbengdriver; 04-01-2009 at 09:17 PM.
    ANG MO KIO AND TANJONG PAGAR MRT STATIONS INSTALLING "TRAFFIC LIGHTS" INSIDE THE STATIONS. Red Light means train delays expected.

If I still want to wait and board the train and walk through the red light, will I kena 12 demerit points for 'beating red light'?

davidtch is online now Blistering Quick
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thanks

Motorknut, u rite about LL-04 cannot be used outside EU. Here is the attached write-up:
    http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/MOTUL...-8327-(GB).pdf

It seems like LL-04 is designed wif low Sulphur, Phosphorus and Sulphated Ashes in mind. However, i am not sure what might be d implication of using LL-04 oil. So, in Sg context, only LL-01 & LL-01FE.

Lastly, Amsoil meet LL-04. However, Amsoil does not hav BMW approval.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to davidtch For This Useful Post:

meister (01-03-2013)

motorknut is offline Cruising Along...
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

davidtch, the document you posted, i've read it before too. It also seems to say LL-04 oil was designed with improving usage with diesel engines.

If it helps petrol engine emissions, i'd be happy to use it. Also, lower sulphated ash in LL-04 oil sounds good to me. Less deposits left behind. but i wouldn't touch the stuff till BMW Asia/PML state clearly that our fuel grade in SG meets requirements for LL-04 in our engines.

PML uses castrol formula slx. no idea what the tech specs of this oil is, i'm guessing this is the "workshop only" oil provided by castrol. Castrol has so many different SLX products in different regions, its frustrating to research. i'm just hoping it's the German Castrol the US guys all rave about.

brosiss is offline Naturally Aspirated
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

yup, pml uses castrol slx, which is not longer available in the market. I was told by pml and other independent workshops. slx could probably be still available in Indonesia. But really hard to search on the net.

some rumours that pml uses petronas oil. For that reason I think petronas oil is not bad.

anyway, i have tried 0w-40 mobile 1, engine felt lighter but torque not restored. did smell the oil, it is quite odourless unlike the bmw long life oils, which has a characteristic chemical smell, i think they have special additives.
    E36 318i --> E46 318i sports edition (gone) --> F30 328i M Package | Infratint | Revol | Michelin PSS

Volvo S60 T4 | Infratint | Revol | Millers Eco Oil

Nissan NV200

futron.sim is offline Cruising Along...
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ahbengdriver View Post
    I did a search on oils in terms of their suitability n accesibility in Singapore.

for example, I find that u can quite easily find Mobil-one 0w-40 which is a true BMW LL-01 oil. There is also for example Amsoil 100% synthetic 5w-40 which is BMW LL-04 certified.

So my question is, can a oil like Amsoil 5w-40 which is LL-04 be used on the BMW 4-pot engine n 6-pot TT engine???
    Yes, you can. Don't worry too much about BMW LL specs. Important thing is to go for good engine oil.

halcrontech is offline Ignition On
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

I bought some Amsoil 5W40 from MX trading recently and its BMW LL04 certified.