kEl
    kEl is offline Ignition On
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

E30 GearBox Problem

Hey all, recently my gearbox in my E30 316iA has been giving lots of problems. It just got worse over the weekend. My mechanic suggested changing the whole gearbox, even better, the engine also to a 2.0. What do u guys reckon? If so, any info on where to get the engine from??

Thanks

ersalle71 is offline Cruising Along...
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Re: E30 GearBox Problem

Hey kei, ur car is same as mine E30 316IA. The best option is to get a use M40 1.8 engine complete with autogearbox. Get it in M'sia, its easier to get cause plenty can be found. Cost should be around RM2K-3K. As for my case i got a used engine only costing RM2.5K. With labour all in total for engine conversion is around RM4k(this includes restamping the engine serial number). Search around in JB, previously there is one chop shop which has an M40 1.8 engine connected with autogear box and he quoted me RM1.9K for the engine only at Taman Tun Aminah area. Any more info u want email me i can guide u.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

By the way, if ur car is singapore car, u cannot upgrade to other engine because they are too obvious and illegal also. Only option is dump in a used M40 1.8 with auto transmission. I did mine already and no problems passing inspection ehhehehehehehe

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Can u also clarify what ur problem is? Gear not shifting from 1-2 during cold? Or worse than that?

kEl
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Well..the gear box is struggling to change frm gear 1 to 2 and e pick up has become horribly slow...Further more i had intentions to switch "legally" to a higher capacity engine because 1.6 consumption is really bad...so where is e chop shop u mentioned?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

This slow gear change from 1 to 2, does it happens only when the engine is cold?I think your auto transmission fluid is low, try top up a bit with ATF DEXRON II. Pull out the auto transmission dipstick and check that the oil level is at its maximum and check it when the engine is warm or after a long drive.Do not check when its cold, because the ATF oil expands when hot.
    Have you changed the auto transmission oil and its filter yet? If not,do it so and see if get any improvements. Well its not that costly, get them at ENG SOON and ask your mechanic to change it. U will need 4 bottles of 1 litre ATF oil DEXRON II($8 per bottle) which u can get it at ENG SOON. I can't remember how much the auto transmission filter but its not more than $20. By the way how long have u been driving your car? Well E30 316i auto are normally slow at moving off. Fuel consumption please don't compare it with a jap car but do make a calculation to see if u'r getting something like 10litre/100km of travel, if you drive at places with lots of traffic lights the fuel can go as high as 12lit/100km, if ur getting more then something is not rite or perhaps u like to pedal to the metal drive heheheh. Upgrading to M40 1.8 is unnoticeable actually as long as you repunch the original serial number back. The chop shop is somewhere in Taman Tun Aminah, JB. Its behind the ESSO petrol kiosk on skudai hiway road towards JB direction. Or if not try drop by TWO-B trading at Taman Universiti, skudai,johor and see Mr. Koh. He can source for u a used engine also and do the engine change. I recommend his w'shop because i did my engine conversion at his place.

kEl
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Hey thanks for the info, well actually i noe that area kinda well. In fact propel has a branch there too..well i'll consider all e options b4 making any major decision..Thanks a million for ur kind advice. Anyways, been drivin this E30 for about a year, was drivin a '68 beetle prior to this.

teinsports is offline Rolling Start...
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kEl View Post
    Hey thanks for the info, well actually i noe that area kinda well. In fact propel has a branch there too..well i'll consider all e options b4 making any major decision..Thanks a million for ur kind advice. Anyways, been drivin this E30 for about a year, was drivin a '68 beetle prior to this.
    hi,

assuming the engine is avail in JB, will they(Propel) bring over the hardware, if i were to get it fixed locally. Btw, do u have any rough idea wats the damage for a used 318is engine(in JB)? And if the 318is engine will match to my current 318i autotrans. (not really sure of the engine code)
    TIA>....

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Yes propel has a branch in Taman Ungku Tun Aminah, you can get the engine there too and price hehehe in Malaysian Ringgit of course.

Teinsports, heheheh ur not the only person who wants to plonk in an M42/M44 engine into our cars. Yes the current transmission can be used with the 318is engine. But putting an M42/M44/M50/M52 etc requires to change the wiring harness and DME box (ECU). For your case, your car is M40 1.8 and u want to convert to M42 1.8, its better for you to get clarification from LTA wether it is allowed or not. U don't want to mess with the law rite hehehehhe. I can't confirm how much the used 2nd hand 318is engine M42(1. or M44(1.9) costs there. U need to scout around JB or further up north in KL or selangor area. Or best ask around in the BMW CLUB Malaysia forum, they could give u a lead there.

teinsports is offline Rolling Start...
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ersalle71 View Post
    Yes propel has a branch in Taman Ungku Tun Aminah, you can get the engine there too and price hehehe in Malaysian Ringgit of course.

Teinsports, heheheh ur not the only person who wants to plonk in an M42/M44 engine into our cars. Yes the current transmission can be used with the 318is engine. But putting an M42/M44/M50/M52 etc requires to change the wiring harness and DME box (ECU). For your case, your car is M40 1.8 and u want to convert to M42 1.8, its better for you to get clarification from LTA wether it is allowed or not. U don't want to mess with the law rite hehehehhe. I can't confirm how much the used 2nd hand 318is engine M42(1. or M44(1.9) costs there. U need to scout around JB or further up north in KL or selangor area. Or best ask around in the BMW CLUB Malaysia forum, they could give u a lead there.
    wat i meant was assuming the engine is available in jb, does our sg Propel provide the delivery into sg, if i were to get it hooked up locally.

is there a 1.9L powerplant for the E36 318is ? All along i tot the 1.9l was meant for the first batches of E46. im aware of the changes of the wiring harness & ecu tho. As for the LTA thingy, as long as its not oem, its illegal unless proper documentation is done - which its 2 much of a hassle for me, at least. Technically, the M42 is still a 1.8 except that it has got an extra sugarcam.....hehh. Engine availability is really scarce in sg, esp for older cars like E36. Nevertheless, tks for ur expert advise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast