(Advertising options)
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 99
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

  1. #51
    martmode8850's Avatar
    martmode8850 is offline Cruising Along...
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    549
    Points
    9,043
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    someone in Japan imported a 320si... to get the standard 320i to th Si version, will need new cams, in-take, exhaust etc...

    www.bmwblog.com/2008/11/11/bmw-320si-a-hidden-pearl/
    Last edited by martmode8850; 19-08-2010 at 07:37 PM.
    M Aero Kit, Front Carbon Splitters and Rear Performance Carbon II Spoiler, M193 18" Staggered Wheels w/ CSC5, Carbon Roundels,
    M Steering Wheel, M Door Entrance Sills, BMW Stainless Steel Foot Pedals...

  2. #52
    davidtch's Avatar
    davidtch is offline Blistering Quick
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somewhere along Kallang River
    Posts
    3,594
    Points
    24,461
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked 251 Times in 223 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Quote Originally Posted by martmode8850 View Post
    someone in Japan imported a 320si... to get the standard 320i to th Si version, will need new cams, in-take, exhaust etc...

    www.bmwblog.com/2008/11/11/bmw-320si-a-hidden-pearl/
    320si is powered by N45 which has no valvetronic.

  3. #53
    pbear1973's Avatar
    pbear1973 is offline Cruising Along...
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    628
    Points
    4,472
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Quote Originally Posted by ac323 View Post
    i don't think PML bring in 170hp variant.
    why not make a trip to PML Kg Arang to check it out. (if you are getting a used BMW)

    cheers
    They do now:

    BMW 3 Series Sedan : Overview

    Click on "Models and Technical Data".

  4. #54
    ac323's Avatar
    ac323 is offline BMW.SG Moderator
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    West
    Posts
    19,543
    Points
    67,098
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    2,241
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 1,177 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbear1973 View Post
    They do now:

    BMW 3 Series Sedan : Overview

    Click on "Models and Technical Data".
    oh yes, saw: 170/6700
    Don't know which engine? can't be N46B20


    cheers

    mod is the way to go.........(MTL)

  5. #55
    pbear1973's Avatar
    pbear1973 is offline Cruising Along...
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    628
    Points
    4,472
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Quote Originally Posted by ac323 View Post
    oh yes, saw: 170/6700
    Don't know which engine? can't be N46B20


    cheers

    It's possible that it's a modified N46B20. The main difference between the new 170bhp engine and the old 156 bhp are:

    i) Direct injection instead of multipoint
    ii) 12:1 compression ratio instead of 9.5:1

    I have the new E92 that supposedly has the 170bhp engine and the registrations show N46B20BD. Actually this one is a bit confused. When I bought it the printed brochure said 156bhp, but a week later the online brochure says 170bhp. Even the car lengths and weight differed between the printed and online brochures - for the exact same car (I bought it on the very first weekend it arrived at the PML showrooms).

    So either:

    i) The printed brochure was an interim version with out-dated figures.
    ii) PML is selling 156bhp cars but have brochures that claim 170bhp.

    In any case I'll know when I dyno at Boss on Monday. I reckon that If the dyno says ~150whp, it means I have the 170 bhp engine. If it says ~130 whp it means I have the 156 bhp engine. Or something along those lines.

    I know the German market has the N46NB20 since about 2006 making 170PS (not exactly 170bhp but close). It's shown in the German wiki entry for the N46:

    BMW N46 ? Wikipedia

    Neither can the new engines be N45 engines since the brochures show that the 170bhp engines have Valvetronic.
    Last edited by pbear1973; 20-08-2010 at 03:16 PM.

  6. #56
    ac323's Avatar
    ac323 is offline BMW.SG Moderator
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    West
    Posts
    19,543
    Points
    67,098
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    2,241
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 1,177 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Quote Originally Posted by pbear1973 View Post
    It's possible that it's a modified N46B20. The main difference between the new 170bhp engine and the old 156 bhp are:

    i) Direct injection instead of multipoint
    ii) 12:1 compression ratio instead of 9.5:1

    I have the new E92 that supposedly has the 170bhp engine and the registrations show N46B20BD. Actually this one is a bit confused. When I bought it the printed brochure said 156bhp, but a week later the online brochure says 170bhp. Even the car lengths and weight differed between the printed and online brochures - for the exact same car (I bought it on the very first weekend it arrived at the PML showrooms).

    So either:

    i) The printed brochure was an interim version with out-dated figures.
    ii) PML is selling 156bhp cars but have brochures that claim 170bhp.

    In any case I'll know when I dyno at Boss on Monday. I reckon that If the dyno says ~150whp, it means I have the 170 bhp engine. If it says ~130 whp it means I have the 156 bhp engine. Or something along those lines.

    I know the German market has the N46NB20 since about 2006 making 170bhp. It's shown in the German wiki entry for the N46:

    BMW N46 ? Wikipedia
    Hi pbear,

    cool stuff....
    what time you be there on Monday? if time permits i drop by


    vroom vroom
    cheers
    mod is the way to go.........(MTL)

  7. #57
    pbear1973's Avatar
    pbear1973 is offline Cruising Along...
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    628
    Points
    4,472
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Quote Originally Posted by ac323 View Post
    Hi pbear,

    cool stuff....
    what time you be there on Monday? if time permits i drop by


    vroom vroom
    cheers
    Awesome! I'm going in at 9.30 to get my Eisenmanns and dyno tune. Boss can now tune E9x LCI engines!!

  8. #58
    davidtch's Avatar
    davidtch is offline Blistering Quick
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience PointsSocial
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Somewhere along Kallang River
    Posts
    3,594
    Points
    24,461
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    669
    Thanked 251 Times in 223 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Juz came back from PML roadshow in Great World. This is the tech spec of E92 320
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  9. #59
    ac323's Avatar
    ac323 is offline BMW.SG Moderator
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    West
    Posts
    19,543
    Points
    67,098
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    2,241
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 1,177 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    Quote Originally Posted by davidtch View Post
    Juz came back from PML roadshow in Great World. This is the tech spec of E92 320
    Hi David,

    so PML do not bring in the 320i with the 170hp right?



    cheers
    mod is the way to go.........(MTL)

  10. #60
    wt_know's Avatar
    wt_know is offline 9000 RPM
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    7,588
    Points
    30,984
    Level
    1
    Thanks
    234
    Thanked 569 Times in 477 Posts

    Re: 2.0L valvetronic pushing 170hp?

    AFAIK, N46=156bhp and N43=170bhp, which is for Europe market only
    PML only bring in N46 and PI brings in N43
    Last edited by wt_know; 22-08-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Superchips for valvetronic
    By Leean in forum Performance Upgrades & Handling
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 15-10-2005, 03:08 PM
  2. Rough Spot in N42 Valvetronic Engine + Trans Prob
    By drift838 in forum CLOSED HELP!What's happening to my BMW!?!?
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-05-2005, 01:49 AM
  3. Castrol SLX a must for valvetronic?
    By drift838 in forum Performance Upgrades & Handling
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 23-12-2004, 11:14 PM
  4. Anyone tried Powerchip on 318 Valvetronic
    By Winston in forum BMW 3 Series Classics (E30/E36/E46)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 22-11-2004, 04:51 PM
  5. Dyno Chart for Valvetronic
    By calvin in forum Performance Upgrades & Handling
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 02:52 PM

Members who have read this thread: 5

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •