Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LanNix is offline Ignition On
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

dash meters and gauges

i have seen people install lots of gauges on their dashboard, things like oil temperature, boost/turbo, voltage.. etc

most of them are pretty straightforward, but i would like to ask what actually does the turbo and voltage sensor tell you? for turbo is it the amount of air drawn into the engine? voltage tell you how much is discharged by the battery?

thanks
    Physiological conditioning is always more vital than physical capabilities..

shaaz is offline Blistering Quick
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Re: dash meters and gauges

ok, if im not wrong...

BOOST
    The gauge shows the amt of pressure/air (PSI/BAR) being dran frm a turbo inlet that pushes air into the engine.. you only need the gauge when u have a FI application. If youre NA, then nothing will be shown on ur boost gauge.

VOLTAGE
    This gauge shows how much voltage ur car is drawing out, i.e radio,aircon,lights... all these uses power frm the batt.. draws power frm the car...

Hope this helps i guess.. not so much of an expert but i hope this helps u understand abit of each application.

Shaaz.

Movement Inc.

louis is offline Barely Legal
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

i've never quite understood the purpose of the voltage sensor though. we get it as stock with the 350Z and i've never had a use for it, even on track.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaaz
    ok, if im not wrong...

BOOST
    The gauge shows the amt of pressure/air (PSI/BAR) being dran frm a turbo inlet that pushes air into the engine.. you only need the gauge when u have a FI application. If youre NA, then nothing will be shown on ur boost gauge.

VOLTAGE
    This gauge shows how much voltage ur car is drawing out, i.e radio,aircon,lights... all these uses power frm the batt.. draws power frm the car...

Hope this helps i guess.. not so much of an expert but i hope this helps u understand abit of each application.

Shaaz.
    ic, nope.. no fi. so i guess it wun apply 4 me, n if thats all the voltage sensor does den i think i can live w/o them. the gauges i saw @ mcwell yesterday cost $300+, abit hard to part if they do nt show anything useful

hum, sorry to bother but what other gauges may be usefull or provides decent information 2 the driver?

chickenbackside is offline High Revving
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

Oil pressure, oil temperature, water temperature and AFR should be useful for any driver.

Oil pressure gauge tells you whether your engine is maintaining healthy across the rev range. Low pressure means leaking engine and not enough lubrication which means sooner or later must spend mucho $$$ if you do nothing about it.

Oil temperature tells you the condition of your oil. Too high temperature = oil additives and minerals being depleted = less protection for your engine. Too low temperature = oil not operating at optimakl temperature = less protection for your engine.

Water tempertature info is pretty obvious. Added advantage over the stock water temp gauge that comes with your car is it is precise and tells you exact values.

AFR (air-fuel ratio) tells you if your engine is running rich or lean or optimal. Important if your car is highly tuned.

If your car is stock and you don't go tracking, then it's really just eye candy as they are not really necessary. Otherwise, it would make sense to install gauges.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

ic, ok.. i think i should gt the afr guage.

hum, may you advice me.. is changing to k&n filters n a larger exhaust b considered "highly tuned"? cos i was thinking, these 2 mods bring more air in (and out).. since my injector is stock i was worried of running it running lean.. =(

bmwF1 is offline Juiced Up!
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks

The only use I can think of the voltage sensor is to check if your battery is in good working condition or to check if your alternator is charging the battery.

louis is offline Barely Legal
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bmwF1
    The only use I can think of the voltage sensor is to check if your battery is in good working condition or to check if your alternator is charging the battery.
    so i guess its good for those who have an electric supercharger!! hur hur hur

reardriven is offline Rolling Start...
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

Cheap AFR meters that read off the stock lambda sensor isn't much use; that is a narrow band sensor that the ECU uses when running in closed feedback loop.

The good AFRs come with a dedicated wide-band sensor, an eg. would be Tomei.

Change of air filter/exhaust are not considered highly tuned.

Highly tuned in general means: changes/modifications made to the following - camshaft profiles, pistons, valves, valve springs, cylinder block liners, turbo/super chargers, ECU/DME reprofile, dry sump conversion, massive fuel pump, etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LanNix
    ic, ok.. i think i should gt the afr guage.

hum, may you advice me.. is changing to k&n filters n a larger exhaust b considered "highly tuned"? cos i was thinking, these 2 mods bring more air in (and out).. since my injector is stock i was worried of running it running lean.. =(

yendor is offline Naturally Aspirated
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks

The volt meter will tell you the condition of your electrical system. With the ignition on (engine not running) the meter should read about 12.4V. During the cranking phase, about 10.5-11V. When the engine starts and for about 30sec or so, 14.5V thereafter when the car runs around throughout the journey, about 13.6-14.2V. Any lower values at each of these stages will indicate a number of problems, namely:
    1. Battery loosing storage capacity
    2. Alternator not charging
    3. Poor electrical conductivity, i.e. grounding.

Highly tuned cars are cars that have vastly altered specifications. Exhaust and intake work are not classified as highly modded. Lightly modded maybe closer.

Cheers
    standard on the outside, nothing standard on the inside

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast